Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 2

Monday was the first day of actual classes. I woke up at about 6 am because my roommate from France was jet lagged and could not sleep in any later, convenient I know, but I made the most of it and took a leisurely shower while the rest of the building slept. I put on my outfit which of course was picked out the night before and then laid back in bed, almost falling back asleep. If this was how tired I was in the morning, how would I make it through the entire day? There was a mandatory orientation scheduled for that morning so everyone in the 'pre-college program' met at one of the buildings, received schedules, and then proceeded to an auditorium. I was so close to falling asleep during orientation. Between my lack of sleep and the boring orientation, I had to fidget in my seat every so often to keep from actually dosing off. After this everyone in the fashion design program met in the lobby of the building because in order to get to our classes we have to take a subway and someone needed to teach us how. I really appreciate the program for not just leaving us to fend for ourselves but the supervision got a little excessive. I felt like we were at a day camp not at a college program and we were all so obviously not from New York City. That is my biggest pet peeve, when I travel somewhere and I just absolutely reek tourist. Yes I know I would probably look out of place without the tour guides but they certainly did not help. We then got to our building which is not the usual building that the summer programs take place at because Project Runway is being filmed there. Thanks Heidi Klum (kidding). My class that day was model sketching. I was incredibly nervous because yesterday did not prove that I had hidden artistry talents like I was hoping. But our teacher is the nicest woman and gave us clear instructions and tricks to help us learn how to. I noticed my sketches becoming increasingly better than they had ever been before and I was so happy. We only had one class that day due to orientation so afterwards we went back to our dorms. There's a lot of nice people in my classes and I'm looking forward to get to know them better, I'm still not an amazing artist or designer for that matter, but hopefully I'll learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment