Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 1

Today my mom and I left the beautiful hotel we stayed the night at and lugged my gigantic bag into a cab. In this such cab, I have never been so scared for my life. I live in a town where cabs are scarce so yes I am a total taxi rookie. But this was by far the scariest. After recovering from the taxi trauma we arrived at the residence hall. My mom and I got to the residence building at the earliest hour we could possibly go and checked me in. I got to my room and it was incredibly nice, equipped with desks for each of us (three other girls and me). Since I was the first one there I got the best pick and quickly staked my claim by unpacking, almost my entire closet from home. Except for of course no one thought to bring bedding so mom and I visited Bed Bath & Beyond and clothed my bed with, yes, all purple bedding. We spent the rest of the day picking up extra things I needed, and prepping me for the next month. Finally I met my roommates. I have four of them and they are all extremely nice and polite. Then the time came when I had to say goodbye to my mom, the moment I has been dreading the entire day, I held back my tears, it felt like I was going off to college, when in reality I'm only going to be gone a month. But I kept my composure and returned to my roommates. There were a series of bonding events involving ice cream after that and I met an extreme amount of people from so many different places. The whole day I was smiling and introducing myself to random girls and some guys in an efforts to make friends. It felt like six grade all over again. For example; it's amazing how mature I can think I am and then I'm put into different situations where I have to make new friends, and instantly I become a follower and cling to the girls who seem to have the most leadership skills, aka "the cool girls" and all I want is for them to like me (horrible I know). I met many girls from my program also, some just as nervous as I was, and others who had been "making garments since" they were little (oh goodness). Afterwards one of my roommates, another girl we met, and I walked to dinner and I realized that I really did have things in common with some of these girls, yes some I won't be able to relate to, but I'm starting to feel a little more hopeful. Now I just have to worry about the actual classes part.

2 comments:

  1. Hellz to the year girl! Lovin that you got a blog. Totes followin. Where is this camp/pre-college shindig goin down? Tell me more tell me more!
    I just started a blog too! About film lol. Would love your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's at Parson's in New York City. And thanks so much! I checked out your blog and it's extremely well written, of course.

    ReplyDelete