Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pros and Cons

The other day I hit a low point. I almost started balling in Time Square but I desperately held back my tears. My fashion concepts teacher was extremely unimpressed with my new designs, first blow, then we did "mind maps" which are ways of generating words for inspiration and helping us to make our collections more personal, I struggled to say specifics and narrow down my goals, wants, likes etc. And after he said "I expect the second round to be amazing." I was completely defeated. I had no ideas whatsoever, I'm not an artist and I don't know what he wants from me. But the I remembered the other day in sketching class when I was daydreaming about being back home in the California sun, driving in my car, when I looked out the window and realized, I'm in New York City, at Parsons The New School for Design summer program, with amazing teachers and an incredibly talented group of girls. How beeping lucky am I? I really can't complain. So I did my best and drew my second round of sketches and the next day, my teacher really liked them. This program is such a roller coaster, the industry is so vast and overwhelming, well art in general is, but I just have to take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment